05 January, 2009

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.


Though the author's name is a mouthful, this book is by far one of the best I have ever read. It is a really long, really fantastic book, with magic, swords, brutality among homeless heroes, you name it. Honestly, it's very, very good.
Robert Jordan is a new author; I set out on a winter break day with the goal of finding a NEW fantasy author, one that is good and I will continue to read as he writes, not try to catch up. I think I did too good; he won't be able to write fast enough!

Without ruining it, I'll try to sum it up.

Kvothe is a bartender; but he was much more. He tells his story, in his own words, so that we all may hear.

That's it, basically; it's him, telling his story. It starts when he was a kid, and works it's way up; this is part 1 of 3, a 700 page novel. I couldn't put it down; finished in a little over a week.

VERY VERY VERY VERY good. Read it, if you dare. I'm preordering the sequel.

Okay, so Twilight fans will dig the first person, even though I despise Twilight and tend to dislike first person, this is a whole new thing. Don't let it turn you off. Other than that, if you like Harry Potter at all, or liked it when you were younger, read this. It's very adult, and very much more origional. Any fantasy lover will like it as well. Robert Jordan fans will enjoy the small hidden things and the change of pace.

EDIT:

I forgot my stars! Five stars, five stars! * * * * *
In the words of a Fantasy Fiction reviewer, there should be six stars for a book like this.

For reviews that are ten times more professional and just as much better than mine, plus less hastily written, I may add, go here:
http://www.fantasyliterature.net/rothfusspatrick.html

Plus, this book is highly hailed there, and it's #1 on FanLit Favorites. I don't know...but I think that's a sign that you should read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment